Robert George, President
During Robert’s 25-year career working with Fortune 500 companies, he played a significant role in the launch of a new retailer and driving significant improvements in another. As a consultant, he has worked with a number of start-ups and growth companies. Each experience has made him uniquely positioned to help companies expand their capabilities and attain their goals.
He now leverages his experience helping companies deal with the ever-changing retail environment to maximize profitable growth. He also speaks at numerous industry events on extreme value retailing.
Robert lives in Weddington, North Carolina with his wife and two children, where he enjoys being involved in the community and staying active through outdoor activity such as tennis, golf, and fishing.
Here are some examples of his insights and expertise at work:
- Joined Staples in 1986, when it had only one store leaving in 2005 with $16 billion in sales.
- Started in store operations, opened numerous new stores, served as Store Manager.
- Held senior roles in Merchandising, Store Operations, Global Sourcing, and Brand Development.
- Became Senior V.P. General Merchandise Manager for the Office Supply division leading the industry in growth and profit.
As Vice President, Global Sourcing:
- Developed capabilities in sourcing, quality assurance and product development.
- Developed team and expanded Staples brand penetration, while also lowering costs.
- Implemented best-in-class systems and processes to more effectively manage growth.
- Introduced over 800 SKUs, an international packaging strategy, and supply chain capabilities to support Staples global needs.
- Drove sales and profitability by collaborating with Staples business units, including North American Retail and Commercial and Staples International.
As Senior Vice President/General Merchandise Manager:
- Led a team of talented individuals that managed retail and commercial office supplies, totaling $3 billion in sales and over 15,000 SKUs.
- Instrumental in launching a new store format and “Making It Easy” brand campaign to differentiate Staples from competitors.
- Drove numerous product, marketing, and promotional innovations while remaining focused on the customer.
- Over 5 years, helped company grow by over 50% into the industry leading multi-channel global retailer with over $16 billion in sales.
- Joined Family Dollar Store in 2005 – Executive Vice President/Chief Merchandising Officer – to enhance company’s overall performance, and help address challenges affecting operations, growth, and declining profit.
- During four year period headed up merchandising, marketing, global sourcing, promotional planning, and store layout.
- Broad experience in numerous product categories including apparel, home, household, health and beauty, food, and seasonal.
- Expanded capabilities in strategic planning, finance, merchandising, marketing, pricing, category management and global sourcing.
- Built a more collaborative culture through development of teams and aligning goals that support the customer.
- Drove multi-year initiative investing in people, processes, and technology to position company for future profitable growth.
- Introduced new systems in financial planning, assortment planning, and pricing that allow company to quickly react to changing market conditions.
- Revamped marketing and promotional planning process to be more customer focused significantly improving sales and productivity.
- Enhanced collaboration between store operations and merchandising through relationship building, updated labor management process, improving execution and store standards, and focusing on customer satisfaction.
- Led mix shift due to customer changing buying habits due to recession by reallocating resources, cutting back on discretionary categories, and expanding consumables, especially food, resulting in greater wallet share and significant increase in trips.
- Over four years, helped company grow by 30% to over $7.4 billion in sales, while positioning it for long-term profitable growth.